By Mary Grace Musuneggi
As the year 2020 continues to be an anomaly, we all look for ways to get back to normal, whatever that was or will be. But Summer has always been a time for enjoying family, outings, vacations, outdoor activities and creative activities. And although you may not be able to take that long-awaited once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Europe or attend that annual family reunion in Hilton Head, we have been hearing from friends how they have found wonderful ways of doing great staycations and fun family outings.
1. A Virtual Cooking Night. Gather your friends and family on Zoom. Share the preparation for your favorite recipe. Being more creative, you could choose a culture or a cuisine.
2. Pitch a tent in the back yard (or the living room). Make s’mores. Tell spooky stories.
3. Hold a book club webinar. Or have the kids read a book and do a book report. Mail the report to a friend or family member.
4. Throw an indoor picnic.
5. Have a Christmas party (in the summer).
6. Have an indoor scavenger hunt.
7. Play board games.
8. Have a costume Night.
9. Do a jigsaw puzzle. For a real challenge try the Heinz Ketchup puzzle.
10. Play with Legos.
11. Host an English Tea Party with the kids.
12. Play Charades.
Most importantly, keep busy. It will keep you happy and hopeful. Or as Vivian Greene explained,
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.”